Gorgeously Green Update

I thought I'd update you on the Gorgeously Green 30 Day Pledge that I took. The pledge is in green and my results in black.

1. I commit to cutting my beef consumption down by 25-50%. I will prepare at least three meat-free meals a week. Meat production has a very heavy eco-impact.
I consciously tried to cut back on the meat that I ate. I made Tomato Pie with some fresh, local tomatoes that I bought at Eastern Market, which turned into a few meat-free meals for me. I also made some delicious veggie pasta, had some soup and salad nights, and veggie pizza.

2. I commit to buying organic, seasonal, and locally produced food whenever possible. I vote with my dollars and want to support sustainable producers.
I bought seasonal and local from Easter Market early in the process. I have to work on the organic part of this one. This girl has a budget!

3. I commit to cooking at least three meals a week at home so that I can save money, my health and the planet.
I do this anyway so this was easy!

4. I commit to reducing my food waste by 50 percent by sticking to my eating plan and my shopping list and by using my leftovers.

I tried to use up all of my leftovers...not easy for me as I always make too much food!

5. I commit to growing something edible (even an herb will do!)
I had a few veggies left from my summer garden which made a yummy salad!





6. I commit to recycling my paper, plastic, glass, and cans, and to buying recycled paper products (paper towels, napkins, and toilet paper) to preserve more trees.
I have recycled everything I could, including those annoying wire hangers from the Dry Cleaners. Most dry cleaners will take the hangers back and reuse them! I do need to work on buying recycled paper products.



PS....In an organizing frenzy a few weeks ago, I went through a huge box of photos and put them in albums. (My roomies had TONS of laughs at my expense while looking at some of my school pictures.) But, this one caught my eye, as I think it proves I've always been a treehugger at heart! (I'm the blonde.)

2 comments:

  1. You were such a precious tree hugger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cooking at home would be really easy for me, as well as sticking to my grocery list and eating all the leftovers, as I HATE throwing away food!

    Buying organic would be tough for me, too. It's just so much more expensive!

    And a lot of folks on my street recycle, but I have no idea where to pick up a recycle bin. And (and I recognize this is a poor excuse) but I'm not sure where we'd keep it in the house. The kitchen is SO freakin' small...

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin