For as long as I can remember, this Sweet Potato Casserole has been a staple on my family's Thanksgiving menu. I saw the exact recipe on Southern Gent's blog so it's definitely no secret! It's creamy, it's crunchy, and it's sweet. It's DELICIOUS. It's by far my favorite Thanksgiving dish.
Sweet Potato Casserole:
3 cups sweet potatoes (mashed)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/3 stick butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk
Mix all ingredients together and put in a casserole dish.
Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/3 stick butter or margarine
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans)
Mix these ingredients together and put on top. Bake at 325 for 35 minutes.

This Cranberry Relish side is relatively new to my family's menu. My mom started making it a few years ago, and now she can't make enough. It's great on Thanksgiving Day, but even better spread on a sandwich made with mayo and leftover turkey.
Fresh Cranberry Relish:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 12 oz. package fresh cranberries, finely chopped
2 cups fresh raspberries or 1 package of frozen, drained (I use the frozen ones)
2 medium tart apples, diced (not too fine - I use granny smith apples)
Combine sugar, marmalade and lemon juice. Add cranberries and apples. Fold in raspberries very gently and chill overnight.


YUM!!! Can't wait for my second helping of these two on Thursday!
yumm... the cranberry relish sounds amazing! I might give that a try.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite is my grandma's mashed potatoes. And I have a new one! R's mom made this amazing squash casserole. Turns out the recipe is from an old issue of Southern Living. She made me a copy!
ReplyDelete