DC- versary-

This month marks 5 years in DC!
It was May of 2004.


A 22 year old version of myself, and recent Columbia College graduate, is waiting to hear about a job. A few weeks earlier, I had my first ever phone interview with the Legislative Director in a Senate office. I was nervous to be talking to a "senior" senate staffer for Senator Hollings, both of whom I had never met. I don't remember much of what we discussed. But I do remember poaching through the Senator's somewhat antiquated website to learn about his position on issues. Here I was, studying up on issues, including the upcoming 2004 election, and the question that threw me completely off was, "Do you by chance play softball?" Ummmm, what?

Of course I'd only "played" in the parent-youth softball game at my church in high school. And I'm pretty sure I was more concerned with my crush of the moment rather than the mechanics of the game.

It turns out that the Senator's office had a long and proud tradition of having a good softball team. They had apparently lost some solid players. I was sure they would choose someone more useful to the the team.

Despite my lack of softball skills, I was called back to have an interview with the state director. Thankfully, softball did not come up. More time passed and I was called back for a third interview the week of my graduation. This time I met with the Chief of Staff who was in town.

I graduated. Had the party. Spent a week worrying. Finally, it was good news! I spent the next week packing and planning. My mom was frantically teaching me how to cook so I could survive. My dad made me learn how to change a tire and bought me tools.

Two weeks after I graduated, I started my first job as a Legislative Corespondent. I had no idea what I was doing.

But I learned. And when the 2004 election went terribly wrong and there weren't very many jobs for people of my political persuasion, I found a new job. When my first roommate decided to leave DC, I found a new place to live. I've made some really great friends along the way.



It's hard to believe that when I moved here, there was no MLB team. The Verizon Center was the MCI center. The old convention Center was still here. Friendster was the social networking site of choice. There was a very different political atmosphere as President Bush was in his 1st term and Republicans controlled Congress. I'm not really sure what I watched on TV since there was no Grey's, Gossip Girl, Big Love, or Brothers and Sisters.

To be completely honest, people that know me know that I haven't maintained a love affair with this place. I don't like the winter or traffic. There's no decent sweet tea. And I hate missing out on my family's birthdays and other special occasions.

But in the end, I'm here for a reason and still surprise myself that I've made it here.

I vividly remember when a certain old bf was trying to teach me how to drive and learn my way around the one way streets and infamous circles. He thought there was definitely no hope. He told me that people like me need to either walk or take the metro....anything but drive. But not only have I learned, I've been asked for directions from other people!

I've learned. I've grown. I've survived.

2 comments:

  1. Um, yeah you drive in DC really well! It still scares me to venture out.

    Wow, five years - Congrats! I bet it was a scary thing moving to DC right out of college, from SC no less. But DC has treated you very well. Glad you're still here.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a real southern woman and that's what we do - learn, grow and above all we survive! I'm one proud mama!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin