I'm trying to forget about that last part, so I'm going with the vacation. Almost all of my mom's family was able to spend a week together at Edisto Beach in SC. (Ryan and Lindsey- we missed you!)
I started the vacation a day earlier than the rest of the fam and met my sister and brother-in-law in Charleston for a night. We had a blast downtown and I got to catch up with an old friend. Millicent and I go way back to middle school, went to church together, college together, and even dated brothers at one point. It's always fun to reminisce about the good ole days!

You know it's a good night when it ends like this....

The next day, we took a detour to see the Angel Oak Tree- Gorgeous!

Edisto is a rather secluded beach and is totally uncommercialized. There aren't a lot of restaurants or entertainment options. But that was just fine with us. My mom's cooking is way better than any restaurant anyway! We had a FULL menu of shrimp and grits, a fish fry, low country boil, roast beef, steak, and lots of delicious homemade sides. I wish I had taken pictures of the beautiful meals, but I was way too concerned about eating it!
We spent the days lounging on the beach...

...watching the dophins swim and play, and eating tomato sandwiches! (There's just NOTHING like a fresh mater on top of white bread lathered in Duke's mayo- truly an amazing southern creation.)
And we spent the nights playing Jenga, Checkers, Uno, card/board games, watching movies, and putting together a rather annoying jigsaw puzzle that was missing 3 pieces!
A sampling of the family photo shoot....




Say it with me- AWWWWWWWWW!


Getting crazy!

Beautiful sunset...

We took a few breaks from the beach- once to go to some local antique shops and to stock up on some local produce and shrimp. THE place to do this is called George and Pink's. It's a local favorite and has been featured in Southern Living several times.
You drive down a loooong dirt road....

And there it is!



My mom with Pink....

We took a break from the beach one day and headed to Charleston to have lunch and shop.
We had a great time soaking up the sun and enjoying each other's company. We all voted to make this a tradition!
I love Edisto. You're right - it's so peaceful which, I think, is the best way to spend a vacation. Glad you had such a great time (and love the family photos!)
ReplyDeleteSuch great pics as usual! Looks like yall had a great time!!! You should have enough family pics by now to cover many, many walls.
ReplyDelete-Elizabeth :-)