Today felt like the first day of school. August in DC is relatively quiet and relaxed. When Congress is in recess, the rest of Washington follows suit. Less meetings and legislative work means dressing more casual and shorter work days. But man oh man, when they (Congress) get back in town, it's a shock to the system. Traffic is miserable, the workdays are jam packed, and so on and so on. Hence why today is getting back to the grind.
I had a restful long weekend, so I cleaned, organized, and geared up for the new "school year." (And yes, like any good southern girl, I put the white and seersucker away. I'm making a pouty face right now.) I packed my healthy lunch, gym clothes, laid out my outfit and even made my bed this morning. We'll see how long all of this lasts, but it certainly does make for a less stressful morning and a healthier start to the week.
I've always been amazed at the immediate change in weather in Washington after Labor Day weekend. It's like the DC weather fairy simply flips a switch from Summer to Fall. In the south, we're lucky to have a chill in the air when we put on our Halloween costumes.
So here we are, a rainy and coolish day to symbolize the end of my beloved summer and the beginning of the busy fall. It makes me sleepy and sad to think about it getting cold and being dark before I leave for work. It also makes me sad that I don't have another long weekend until Thanksgiving! Don't mind me, I'm just going through my annual grieving process for the loss of summer...and fresh tomatoes....and baseball....and vacation....and....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm sad to see summer go, too. It means we're that much closer to winter and coats and pale skin. Bye, tan!
ReplyDeleteAnd I was on the Hill late Aug for an event and was extremely jealous of EVERYONE I saw who was wearing jeans!