I just returned from a little trip to Jackson, Mississippi. Okay, not really. But I felt like I had been there when I finished my new book The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I. Loved. It. I couldn't put it down and hated for it to end.
Stockett did a great job telling a story from three different perspectives. The book's main storytellers, Aibileen and Minny, are black maids, and Skeeter is a white twenty-something just out of college. As these three women come together to change things in their own way, the vivid storylines are beautifully woven together.
So what was one really cool thing about getting lost in a story about segregation in the south before civil rights? I finished the book just in time to watch our country's first African American President give his first State of the Union Address. Sometimes it's easy to forget just how far we've come in 40 years. I sure hope the Aibileen's, Minny's, and Skeeter's of the world got a chance to see it.
This book is already a bestseller and definitely gets a 5 on my Sweet Tea Scale! The Help was author Kathryn Stockett's first novel and I can't wait to see what she puts out next!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Don't be shy! Leave a comment!