I posted here about the silver lining of this storm before a single snowflake even fell.
So take a second and pretend it's the weekend of December 19th, 2009, a week before Christmas. If you'll recall, the snow storm hit the DC area hard and we got around 2 feet of snow. Which was more snow than I've ever seen. And of course...us southern girls didn't even have a proper snow shovel. Thank goodness for friendly neighbors!
We hunkered down for a full 24 hours of non-stop snow, eating a lot of junk/delicious food, and taking advantage of the time to rest up for our holiday trips.
Our Winter Wallop survival kit...

Shira pointed out how ironic our mantle decor turned out to be. I was not amused.

We woke up to this, but much more snow fell throughout the day....

There was a guy on our street trying to get his car out so he wouldn't be stranded with his girlfriend. (They might need to reevaluate their relationship.) He was so desperate and clueless of how to do this, that he proceeded to let a group of southern girls push his car all the way down the street. At which point our neighbor said, "Do you think he's going to tell people that a group of girls pushed his car out?" And remember, we had never seen so much snow, let alone know how to dig/push cars in it. Not sure if this shows how dumb the guy was or how awesome we are. I'll go with both. He was lost without us!
Then it was back to shoveling our own path and driveway. I was SO sore from all the hard work!
We ventured out and saw people with skis on the National Mall. It was surreal...

Some pretty scenery...
Since the metro was closed, and cab companies wouldn't answer, we had to pick up my roommate's sister from Union Station. It was a scary drive, but I snapped this pic of the wreaths in front.

The next day, all that stood between me and my Christmas vacation was digging these three cars out. Please let me call your attention to the fact that the snow is up to our tires.
I was home free after praying and slipping and sliding all the way down our street!


Honey, Southern women have more resources and strength than many people realize. I'm so proud of you for tapping into yours.
ReplyDeleteGreat survival kit! The snow looks so pretty there:)
ReplyDelete