Polar Bear Plunge for Cancer!

So who's tired of the cold weather?? It's definitely been a colder than usual winter for us in the South. Every time I want to complain about the dry skin, chills, and heavy jackets, I stop myself and think about my friend, Sarah Jen, who lives in Alaska! Last week, she posted a picture on Facebook of the thermometer reading a temperature of -50 degrees!!!!!




Let me say that again- NEGATIVE 50 DEGREES. I'm colder now by just typing that sentence.

Sarah Jen is participating in a Polar Bear Plunge in a few days to raise money for cancer. She will be jumping in something that looks like this...



Here's her story:

"In just a few days I'm going to be in Seward, Alaska (about 400 miles south of where I live in Denali) and I'm going to be dressed like a beauty queen (our team name is the Denali Divas) and I'm going to jump into Resurrection Bay (a bay off of the Pacific Ocean).

All of this may seem insane, so, why do I want to do something crazy like this??? I like to do some kind of big fundraiser every year and find a way to contribute to a cause and make a difference.

I've lost a grandmother and a step-grandmother to cancer. At the beginning of last year, my 14 year old cousin was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. Soon after, I learned a little boy in my community had cancer and then two coworkers were diagnosed with breast cancer. Next thing I knew 2 more coworkers from last summer were diagnosed. It seemed like cancer was on the rampage!

I felt bad because I don't like to just sit and watch someone fight this disease, but at the same time I can't take their place getting chemo and radiation and all of the other mess that goes with being treated for cancer. I feel like by participating in this jump and raising money for the American Cancer Society, I am doing something helpful and maybe one day no one else will have to get these treatments because cancer will have a cure.

And then of course there probably is a small part of me doing this because I am just crazy!

I've currently raised about $3300 dollars and I'd like to get to my goal of $3500 by Saturday. If you would consider making a donation to help me get there I would appreciate it."

Click HERE to go to Sarah Jen's donation page! To add some shameless cute baby persuasion- here's Sarah Jen with her adorable nephew!



You have 4 days to contribute before she takes the plunge! And remember- "A Lot of Little, Makes a Lot of Lots!" Stay tuned for follow-up pictures of the event!

1 comment:

  1. Great article - very well written. I'm hoping you will let me share or repost it on my blog. I'd give your blog full credit of course :)
    I am the mother of the 14 year old mentioned in your article above.
    thank you,

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin